Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Berlin Calling

Movie Questions
1). Ickarus says that he takes drugs to relax
2). They take drugs because it has become a part of this subculture. They take MDMA, Ketamine, Cocaine and amphetamines.
3). I think that the subculture feels that they need drugs to live this lifestyle. That the drugs induce creativity. In turn, I think that this makes Ickarus feel that he needs to take the drugs in order to make the music to the quality that the drug users will appreciate. I also think that he just likes how they feel. It is also the setting in which he spends a lot of his time, the night clubs. Night clubs around the world are notorious for being a place for young people to experiment with drugs.
4). Our values are largely different. His are based on partying and creating music. Now I cannot lie, I too like to party and listen to music as well. It is just that our methods of practicing both of these hobbies are completely opposite of each other. The only real similarity that I can find in this is that I like to hang out with my friends, and I like to be around music.
5). The only way I really feel that Ickarus' subculture could change the world is in a negative way. The lives that they lead can in no way be helpful to Germany's Industrial Economy.
6). I have not seen any cult movies before. I am happy this was the first one I saw, I enjoyed it.



Film Reaction



            I enjoyed the film, I thought it was very well put together. I do not watch films of this type very often, which made it very interesting to me. I liked the fact that it documented a culture that most societies try to hide and pretend do not exist. I feel that these types of things need to be unveiled for the world to see, not because it is a positive thing, but because I feel that people need to be educated on these cultures which you do not hear much about. The film created a lot of emotion, without actually having Ickarus himself show these feelings. It was mainly shown through the events and constant actions of all characters portrayed.
            In the beginning of the film, everything seems to be alright for Ickarus(besides the fact that he is on drugs). Which I later realized was the point, because from then on, things slowly started to deteriorate. At this point, he was still with his girlfriend Matilde, and seemed to be content with that. Of course, being a DJ, the night club was a large influence of his life. As the film progresses, we learn that he is making a new album, which then becomes the constant for the rest of the movie. No matter what else is going on around him, he makes sure he can work on that album, which I found impressive that someone as drug obsessed as him could still find time to focus and and do something productive. He even continued to work on it in the hospital while he had psychosis. There are many significant ups and downs in this film, but they finally get resolved in the end when he is said to be suitable to live on his own by his doctor. He then ends up refusing the drugs from his friends, and makes amends with his father. All in all I thought this was a good ending to a good film. I would recommend it to anyone who has not yet seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment